The Blackstone River Valley offers a variety of recreational opportunities. Below is a sampling (Click on the + button to expand any of the listings below to get more information):
On the Water
There are many opportunities to get on the water in the Blackstone River Watershed. The Blackstone, Quinsigamond, Mumford, West and Mill Rivers in Massachusetts all provide navigable stretches for canoes and kayaks.
- Blackstone River Guide on Google Earth
- Northbridge: Plummer's Landing to River Bend Farm - Intermediate Tour (8.5 x 11") or (11 x 17")
- River Bend Farm - Beginner and Intermediate Tours (possible round-trips)
- River Bend Farm to Blackstone Gorge - Intermediate Tour (8.5 x 11") or (11" x 17")
- Blackstone Gorge to Millville Lock (round trip)- Beginner Tour
- The ExploreRI website has information about river access, dams, and portages along the Blackstone River, as well as many other rivers in the Narragansett Bay Watershed.
- The Blackstone Valley Paddle Club provides the opportunity to enjoy the river with other paddlers.
- The Blackstone River Valley Greenway Challenge is held each year in September combining biking, paddling and running in one of New England's premier adventure races.
- For a less strenuous adventure, the Blackstone Valley Explorer, a 49 passenger boat offers guided tours of the Blackstone River
There are many places to hike or walk in the Blackstone River Watershed. Here are a selection:
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers maintains trails at West Hill Dam and Park in Uxbridge.
- Mass Audubon manages 430 acres of conservation land and offers a wide variety of programs at Broad Meadow Brook Conservation Center and Wildlife Sanctuary in Worcester.
- Waters Farm in Sutton offers trails with views of barns, outbuildings, pristine farmland and Lake Manchaug.
- Grafton Land Trust manages several preserved forest, farm and open space properties and provides information on other conservation land in the town.
On a Bicycle
The Blackstone River Greenway, when complete, will provide a 48-mile bicycle trail from Worcester to Providence with connections to other existing or proposed trails including the East Bay Trail (Providence, RI to Bristol, RI) and the Southern New England Trunk Trail (Franklin, MA to CT state line in Douglas).
Blackstone River Greenway visit the Blackstone River Valley National heritage Corridor.